I have only recently discovered this very easy recipe. I sometimes use this butter bread recipe as a breakfast meal for my children particularly on school mornings when I just need them to eat something before school! This is basically a cake mix. Even though they are no longer toddlers, my kids can be fussy when it comes to what they eat for breakfast. They will not eat traditional porridge oats or eggs/toast so I have found ways to get them to eat something before going to school in the mornings. Although this butter bread originally contains quite a bit of sugar, I don’t like to fill them with too much sugar before school. I love how versatile you can make this easy recipe. I prefer to add very little sugar in the bread – just enough to taste so that there is some sweet flavour. You can add anything you like to the batter mix – strawberries, coconut etc to sweeten it up. I added a little bit of lemon zest to give it a nice flavour. If there is a very small amount of sugar you can get your kids to sweeten it up with a bit of jam!
Time to bake: 15-20 min in pre-heated 180 degrees celcius oven
- 250 grams or 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar (use more if if needed- I prefer less sugar)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk, at room temperature
- 114 gram or 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 eggs , at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
In a large bowl , sift or whisk together the flour , sugar , baking powder and salt
- Add the eggs, butter , sugar, vanilla and beat with a mixer
- Pour batter into square shaped or rectangular baking tray making sure you have greaseproof paper underneath
- Bake for 15-20min and enjoy!